Wednesday, April 13, 2011

You Should Know : Stylist Fatima B

Hey Guys!
Today I wanted to introduce you to a hot young stylist, Fatima B:


The supremely driven 24-year-old is a Fashion Director at Black Beat and Right On! Magazines, and has styled Christina Milian, Nicki Minaj, Soulja Boy, Juelz Santana, and BET’s Terrence J.

So how did such a pretty young thing get so far, so fast? She took a break from pursuing a Business Management degree to intern for 50 Cent’s stylist, where she went over and above the call of duty. She said, “I learned from her. When I was working for her, I wasn’t thinking about the pay…I wasn’t getting paid! But if she called me at 3am to do job, I did it. I was consistent, organized, and on point.”
A year and a half later, and now you’ll find Fatima styling shoots, running to showrooms, and collaborating with some of the industry’s hottest up and comers (yes, she was the brainchild behind Nicki Minaj’s fabulous Limpasse Lace Dress!):
When working with clients she says, “You have to make sure the client is comfortable in what they’re wearing. Try to get to know them and collaborate with them to come up with an image. You don’t want to to put an artist in an element where their music and style don’t match.”

Fatima referenced her childhood in Japan to inform her current client, Nicki Minaj’s look. She explains, “Nicki came to me with the idea of looking like a living doll. We collaborated to create a Harajuku Barbie.”

Regarding all the controversy surrounding Nicki’s look, she says, “Madonna did something similar in the 80′s, but it was fashion when it came to her. There’s a double standard, but people always have something to say.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive